Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Two for Tuesday






Two things you may not know about July 17.

1. It is the 198th day of the year with 167 days left.
2. There are 29 days of "the dog days of summer" left.

speaking of dog days, I had no idea why they were called that so here is what I found out-

wikipedia says they were named by the ancient romans after Sirius "the dog star"
the dog days are usually the hottest days during the summer months and ancients believed that the dog star was the cause of all the hot, sultry weather.

believed to be an evil time "when the seas boiled, wine turned sour, dogs grew mad, and all creatures became languid, causing to man burning fevers, hysterics, and phrensies.

hmmmm, I don't think it sounds evil to go languish in the sun with some wine. and what the heck does phrensies mean? if anyone knows, please enlighten me.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

phrensies = frenzies? maybe?

good to know we're half done 2007... it's all downhill from here, right??

Travis Cody said...

Interesting thoughts on the dog days of summer.

I know that baseball calls them the dog days because the games tend to slow down in the heat, players slump at the plate, and pitchers get tired. There's a lethargy around the ball park that even affects the crowds.

Kate said...

29 days left... fall could not get here faster!

Lisa Ryan said...

Hi lala, could be! I looked online quickly but didn't see anything that made sense to me. all downhill from here :-)

Hi Trav, now that you mention it, I have heard that before! I don't know about yours, but our summer has not been hot enough yet (or without rain long enough) to experience a true dog day.

I am a fall girl too Kate but I am not hurrying summer too much, it's been way to much fun!

Schmoop said...

Are you Sirius?

rzdesign said...

Sirius Black to all you Potter Heads! Three more days til the release! Woo Hoo!

rzdesign said...

Sirius is also the dog star and the name of Keanu Reeves' band.

Lisa Ryan said...

LOL Matt-man. I am dead sirius.

R, can't wait, can't wait to read it! knew sirius is called the dog star (see post) but didn't know about about Keanu Reeves' band. will have to check it out.

rzdesign said...

Well Dogstar the band is a quite accurate name. The band is a dog with a star in it!