Monday, December 10, 2007

Manic Monday Ornament



These little critters came to mind when I saw the Manic Monday word for today - ornament.



The Legend of the Christmas Spiders

Many years ago, on the night before Christmas, a woman prepared for the next day's celebration. She cleaned and scrubbed her home, making sure every nook and cranny sparkled. To escape her broom, the household spiders fled to the attic. They listened to the excitement below as the family decorated the Christmas tree. After everyone went to sleep, and the house grew quiet, the spiders crept back downstairs and saw the beautiful tree. They were amazed and crawled along every branch admiring each ornament. Soon the whole tree was covered with their webs. Father Christmas arrived that night and he smiled as he looked at the webs the spiders had spun. He knew, however, the woman would be upset when she saw the mess completely covering her tree. With one touch, he turned the webs into strands of silver and gold. Now the Christmas tree sparkled and shimmered even more beautifully than before. Thus began the tradition of hanging tinsel, and a spider ornament, while trimming the tree.



You can get your very own Christmas Spider made to order. Just email Bev or Bren at lil_somethin_or_others@yahoo.com
Send them the colors you like and away they go! They make awesome gifts!

check out the other ornament posts at Mo's It's blog eat blog world

19 comments:

Schmoop said...

Great story. I had never heard that before. Nice ornament too. Cheers Lisa!!

Anonymous said...

wow,I really love that! I have a Christmas pickle but not a spider. Happy Monday.

Durward Discussion said...

That is a legend that I have never heard and a beautiful one. It is a lovely ornament.

Sarge Charlie said...

That is a unique ornament, thanks so much for your kind comment

Sandee said...

I hadn't heard this one before Lisa. Very interesting and fun. Have a great MM. :)

Anonymous said...

WOW, never heard this one before... Cool story and idea!

My oldest daughter collects real bugs, so I think she'd like this one!

Real Live Lesbian said...

I'd never heard that one either! Great story...now I want a spider for my tree!

Lisa Ryan said...

Hi Matt, I love these spiders much more than real ones! have a good one.

Jamie, I just heard the pickle story today, can't wait to get one for my tree.

Hi Sarge, you're welcome!

Hi Sandee, always fun to learn new traditions. I learned a couple today.

Lois, I can tell you where to get them if you're interested.

I can tell you too, real live, and thanks for stopping by!

Marilyn said...

Be kind to spiders! That's a very pretty ornament and I'd never heard that story before.

maryt/theteach said...

Hey, lisa, this is maryt and I posted the Christmas pickle ornament story on Deb's blog for her since she's still on her cruise. You can read all about the pickle ornament at Deb's blog at http://palofmine.wordpress.com

Lisa Ryan said...

Marilyn, I'm usually kind to spiders. I have to say "usually" because we have some huge dock spiders at our camp and they are pretty scary and once my foot slipped, hard.

Hi Maryt, that was nice of you to post at Deb's! I stopped by there earlier and read the story. I loved it and am adopting it for our house.

Janna said...

I love this! I've never heard this story before. It brings some beautiful mental images.
Thank you for posting Manic Monday!

..................................................
My blogs:
The Jannaverse
Jantics
Jantrails
Jannagraphics

Kellan said...

What a cool legend that I've never heard before and I love those beautiful spider ornaments! Have a good evening. kellan

Unknown said...

I need one of those ornaments. It could be Little Bear's special one this year. Silly kid loves spiders.

Julie said...

OH great story! I don't really care for the tinsel but I would like a spider on my tree.

Did i ever tell you 'bout my spider bite? oh....maybe another time?

Travis Cody said...

GAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

**goes to hide in the corner**

Not spiders!

Great story, but GAHHHHHHH!!

rzdesign said...

You can get your very own Christmas Spider made to order. Just email Bev or Bren at lil_somethin_or_others@yahoo.com

Send them the colors you like and away they go! They make awesome gifts!

Mo and The Purries said...

I never heard of the Christmas Spider either!
I want to see her sing "Silver & Gold" in the Rankin/Bass animation version of this story!

Kate said...

ok, doh on me! didn't finish scrolling down enough! i'm a slacker just catching up on blogs... me wants me a spider ornament! thanks for that link!

happy new year!