Sunday, February 04, 2007

Leonardo DaVinci

I'm taking a drawing class on Monday nights with my friend Vanessa.
Yesterday I was trying my hand at drawing facial features.
The eyes came out ok.
The nose, eh, acceptable.
But the lips? I spent HOURS on the lips to no avail.
Then I remembered that it took Leonardo DaVinci 10 years to draw the Mona Lisa's lips.
I felt better.

Did you know?









That besides taking 10 years to paint Mona Lisa's lips, he drew her without eyebrows in the painting (or maybe she didn't have any?)

That he could write with one hand and draw with the other at the same time.
That he invented scissors.




6 comments:

v said...

I didn't know he invented scissors. I wonder if he could draw with one hand and cut with the other? (Kimmy would say that he was obviously right handed, or else he would have created scissors that were more leftie-friendly.)

Being as creative and brilliant as he was must be terrifying.

Anonymous said...

How interesting! I recently checked out a book at the library about how to draw like Da Vinci, but I could see right away that I was beyond my capabilities! :(

GEWELS said...

An amazing, amazing gift from God. His inventions were truly centuries before his time.
I've been reading the book How to think like Leonardo Da Vinci.
Not sure it can be taught though.

Just T said...

I love finding out interesting facts like these. I DID know about him inventing scissors, but didn't know the other facts, especially about taking 10 years to paint Mona Lisa's lips! That's some dedication lol

rzdesign said...

beside MOna Lisa nothaving eyebrows, she had a Brazilian too!

Barb said...

Nope.. I didn't know that!