Friday, February 16, 2007

Why does everything smell like wet dog?
















Wet woolen hats, soaked knit gloves, damp boots, and wet snow pants have a distinct odor to them and these aren't ingredients Chanel works with!

A textile professor at Syracuse University says "yarns often retain the oils from the animal hair used in their creation and when the wet fabric warms up, what's released into the air is the odor of that animal".

"If you wear one of those Irish wool sweaters, you'll smell sheep."

"Man-made fabrics produce their own man-made odor- even if it's cold outside, you're warm and when the fabric gets wet, what you smell is you"

So the odor from all those wet clothes I've been throwing in the dryer after boys snowblowing, shoveling, and sledding this week? It's sheep and boys, no dog.

3 comments:

Alice (in BC Canada) said...

Interesting info, Lisa.

I just nipped over to steal some of your cookies for my blog (hope you don't mind, I think of it as an honor). Come on over for tea and cookies :o)

Alice (in BC Canada) said...

BTW... really cute dog.

Lisa Ryan said...

LOL! yay Zeta, I love her minor.

Bailey passed the following courses with flying colors.

Guarding Your Dog Dish 101, 201 and 605. (he has his master's in this)

I'm a Small Dog Therefore in Charge of all Large Dogs 121.

I Eat Therfore I Bite 102.

maybe he went to the wrong school?