Monday, May 14, 2007

Manic Monday Green









You say green, I say Irish.
We have a great Irish community in our city.
The Irish section on the west end of town is called Tipperary Hill.
We boast such pubs as Rosie O'Grady's, Nibsy's Pub, McNamara's Pub, Coleman's Pub and The Blarney Stone.
This light sits on Tipperary Hill.
Green on top
Red on the bottom.
Here's the scoop on how the light came to be.
When the city first started to install traffic lights in the 1920's they put one at a major intersection on Tipperary Hill, on the corner of Tompkins Street and Milton Avenue. Some Irish youths, incensed that anyone would dare to put the "British" red above the "Irish" green, broke the light. The city replaced it but the Irish broke the replacement. After a few rounds of this the city decided that if they wanted a light at that intersection, they had better put the signal up inverted, and so they did, and so it stayed.


Now raise that glass of green beer and say "Sláinte"! (to your health)



and go visit Mo at it's a blog eat blog world to see how everyone else interpreted the word "green".

10 comments:

Empress Bee (of the high sea) said...

wow! that is really something!

smiles, bee

Mz Jackson said...

I'm sorry. I don't know why I put my email on your linkies. My daughter was asking me a question and I got distracted.
Anyway, this was an interesting story and I'm glad I got to view it! Happy Manic Monday!

Anonymous said...

What an interesting story! Thanks for sharing.

Travis Cody said...

Ingenuitive solution. I guess it wouldn't have worked as well to turn the light sideways so the two lights were equal with the yellow between them.

Then the argument would have been which color comes first!

Just T said...

Interesting story. You know how I love a good history listen lol

Gotta love those Irish for stinking to their guns!

Alice (in BC Canada) said...

Interesting info... thanks for sharing it with us. "Way cool".

Stine said...

Hahaha - not stubborn at all, the Irish! Great story!
Thanks for the visit.

Schmoop said...

Erin Go Braugh!!! Cheers Lisa...

Lizza said...

Oh, wow, the things I learn about different places because of blogging.

First time I ever learned of traffic lights with the green on top. Thanks for sharing, Lisa!

Lisa Ryan said...

Hi Bee! no cruise this week? :-)

No problem Mz. Jackson, happy happy to you too.

Hi tegdirb, glad you liked it.

Hi Trav, there was no "fair" solution to this one.

Hi Tina, and I do love em!

Hi Imma, hi Stine!

Cheers to you too Matt-man.

Hi Lizza, one of the best parts of blogging, meeting people from all over the world and learning cool stuff!