Tuesday, January 15, 2008

No Evil Spirits here!



This is a favorite gift from the Christmas season and hangs in a window at home. Called a Witch Ball, it is Kitras handblown art glass from Canada.

Witch's Balls were very popular in 18th century England, but their actual origin is thought to be much older. The witch's ball is hung in windows to ward off witch's spells, evil spirits and ill fortune.

Hanging these decorative balls in the window is thought to tantalize evil spirits which may be threatening a home's tranquility. The evil spirit is mesmerized by the ball's reflective beauty. When the spirit touches the sphere it is pulled through the hole on the side of the glass and trapped inside the ball.

10 comments:

rzdesign said...

Witches have balls? I thought only warlocks did! LOL I crack myself up!

Does your have a hole on the side to trap the witches? Mine doesn't! Or is a Calico Ball different than a witches ball? Again I am snickering!

Lisa Ryan said...

witches have lovely glass balls. your ball - I say "ball" as you only have one ball (poor thing)- is a friendship ball not a witch's ball.

Just T said...

That was interesting, Lisa. I'd never heard of that. Is that a similar notion to the "dreamcatchers". Only asking because my daughter was given one a couple of years ago.

Durward Discussion said...

How lovely. I'll need to go looking for one.

BTW, I need you to drop by and tell me about your very first movie heartthrob.

Lisa Ryan said...

Hi T, it is very similar to the dreamcatcher. My kids all had them growing up, hanging over their beds or in their windows.

Jamie, they are very pretty hanging in the window. I'll stop on by.

rzdesign said...

I kindly ask that you NOT speak of my balls in a public forum such as this!

Travis Cody said...

And it makes an attractive bauble to hang in the window. I love a thing with multiple purposes!

Schmoop said...

My mom had one very similar to that one and it hung all year round in the window. Cheers!!

Lisa Ryan said...

Hi Trav, I'd like a few to hang in a window.

Matt, cool! My 17 year old patted my arm yesterday and told me to be careful I didn't get sucked inside. :-)

Anonymous said...

The witchballs are pretty. Would hate to see the warlockballs, though... BWHAHAHAHAA (I crack myself up!)