Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Books anyone?

I am on my 4th book since Christmas and finally feel like I have a winner.

The winner:
  • Life is Short, Wear your Party Pants
  • by Loretta LaRoche

    The jist of it: ten simple truths that will lead you to an intense, happy, successful life: resilience, living in the moment, optimism, acceptance, humor, creativity, moderation, responsibility, meaning, and connection.

    I'm about a 1/3 of the way through and so far, so good. Just what's needed for a dreary January.

    The Loser:
    Running with Scissors, a Memoir by Augesten Burroughs

    It was touted to be a national bestseller, an Entertainment Weekly Top Ten Book, and a New York Times bestseller.
    I didn't like it. It was supposed to be funny. I didn't find it funny. Bizarre, yes. Funny, not much. There are just some situations you cannot make funny no matter how hard you try.
    If you read it and liked it, let me know. I'd love to discuss it and get a different perspective.

    Tweener 1:

    Vanishing Acts by Jodi Picoult

    I can't say too much without giving the plot away but it is a decent read.
    Just not the elusive "can't put it down" book I am always looking for.

    I read another book by her, My Sister's Keeper, and really liked it. Controversial topic - a second child is conceived for the sole purpose of helping save the life of a firstborn.

    Tweener 2:

    Making it up as I go Along by Maria Lennon

    Career woman and her new life as a single mother - entertaining, humorously written, but predictable.

    Anyone read a good one lately? Please share.

    2 comments:

    Lisa Ryan said...

    Thanks Meow, I will snag it from Zachary while he is sleeping.

    Lisa Ryan said...

    I am a big Colplay fan and love their new CD. Have you seen their Scientist video? It's pretty cool. You can see it here