Friday, January 13, 2006

Happy Friday the 13th!

My favorite number and my favorite day together -it's going to be a GREAT day. At least in my opinion.

It is not the opinion of anyone with Paraskevidekatriaphobia: Fear of Friday the 13th. It is said as many as 21 million americans have this condition.

The sixth day of the week and the number 13 both have a foreboding reputation dating back to ancient times. Some sources say it may be the most widespread superstition in the United States. Some people won't go to work on Friday the 13th; some won't eat in restaurants; many wouldn't think of setting a wedding on the date.

Many cities do not have a 13th Street or a 13th Avenue. Many buildings don't have a 13th floor. It is said if you have 13 letters in your name, you will have the devil's luck (Jack the Ripper, Charles Manson, Jeffrey Dahmer, Theodore Bundy and Albert De Salvo all have 13 letters in their names). There are 13 witches in a coven.

(When I heard this I was a little worried. Friday IS my favorite day and 13 IS my favorite number. Was I witch in a past life? A devil worshiper?)

BUT, other sources suggest the number 13 was purposely vilified by the founders of patriarchal religions because it represented femininity. Thirteen had been revered in prehistoric goddess-worshiping cultures, allegedly, because it corresponded to the number of lunar (menstrual) cycles in a year (13 x 28 = 364 days)and in the Roman Calendar, Friday was devoted to Venus, the goddess of love.

(YES! That made me feel better. That made sense. 13 is good. I was a GODDESS in a previous life. Maybe even a goddess of LOVE. I can live with that.)

There are a lot of stories out there that fuel the superstitions. Judas was the 13th to join the last supper, the ship, the H.M.S. Friday, supposedly set sail on a Friday and disappeared forever, and what about the true story of Appolo 13?

So is Friday the 13th really an unlucky day? Anyone you know have a bad experience? Do you change any of your actions on Friday the 13th?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lis-
This site is great. And I am always on the lookout for a good read.

My recommendation? Two books by Wally Lamb.

1) "She's Come Undone"

2) "I Know This Much Is True"

If you've read those (they're pretty popular) I'd also suggest "It Was On Fire When I Lay Down On It", by Robert Fulghum. I'ts very uplifting, and laugh out loud funny. He wrote "Everything I Ever Needed To Know I Learned In Kindergarten".

Lisa G :)

Lisa Ryan said...

Hi Lis,
Thanks for the book recommendations!