Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Okay I'm Sold

For the past few months my friend Mark has been trying to talk me into listening to books on CD. I pooh poohed the notion because A. I am all about music and B. I love to READ books.

But knowing I was making a 4 hour drive to Harrisburg this past weekend, and since my iPod car player is not working, I stopped at Borders and picked one up.
A book on CD.

Freakonomics: A Rogue Economist Explores the Hidden Side of Everything by Steven D. Levitt and Stephen J. Dubner.

The time FLEW by.

First of all it is a really interesting book. (Good choice for bookclub, grrrrrlfriends) Asks and answers all kinds of funky questions. What do sumo wrestlers and schoolteachers have in common? Which is more dangerous, a gun or a swimming pool? Why do drug dealers still live with their moms? Second of all, it made economics fun for me. I hated the subject in college. BORING.

So thanks Mark. My trip went by faster, I learned (and liked) a bit more about economics, and I thoroughly enjoyed my first book on cd.


Freakonomics

4 comments:

mace said...

Lisa!

Hey, I agree wholeheartedly on audio books for the car! I got a job as the art director for a company in Northbrook - not as far as Harrisburg, mind you, but annoyingly long for me.

As a result, I have a variety of things I've been listening to, and it really DOES help the time go by!

I belong to Audible.com (as well as iTunes) and download a variety from Steve Martin's recent fictions to Pimseleur Learn French/German/Cantonese/Mandarin to nonfiction titles like what you've mentioned. Audible has tons of books for download and burn (to disc or iPod) and you can get most of them through iTunes.

Wow, perhaps I should ask for a kickback from them for advertising!

Lisa Ryan said...

Hey thanks for the Audible.com tip! I'll check it out.

Anonymous said...

seems to me, mark is wise beyond his height!

Lisa Ryan said...

oh he is!