Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Tom Marioni

The artist's role in society is to observe real life and report on it poetically. If the movement of his/her materials is sure and honest, the work becomes a beautiful gesture.
Tom Marioni

I don't know Tom Marioni and this post isn't about Tom Marioni (even though there is a link if you'd like to learn more about him). But he said the quote above and I love that quote.

I've been thinking about it since it came across my desk. I thought about it when I saw Mace's post for today and I think about it everytime I visit a blog that has a photo, a drawing, an illustration, or a poem that gives the viewer a little glimmer into that person's world and how they choose to relate it through their art.

I work with artists and can truly say I love my job. (even when I hate it) And I love the art I get to experience everyday by the students and colleagues I work with. But the art I have been experiencing online these past few weeks has given me much more pleasure than the artwork hanging on a wall. It is a piece of that person. Honest and intriguing. With new and different pieces being shown each day. A gallery of pieces.

I have never taken an art class although I spent several years (when the kids were little) with sketchbooks and camera in tow everywhere I went. That was a bit of an education in itself. I am also not a writer but I do love words and stringing them together. So lately, after blog hopping and being inspired by so much I see, I have the urge once again "to observe real life and report on it poetically". Where I'll go with it I'm not sure. But somewhere.

2 comments:

mace said...

Thanks for embellishing and sharing. That's an awesome quote!

Willie Baronet said...

Wooohooooooooo! My plan is working. :-)