Monday, February 13, 2006

Random things I've learned in Austin

Here are some random things I've learned in Austin although not necessarily about Austin.

  • There are 300 days of sunshine in Austin, no state income tax, and it is smoke free.


  • The faculty member I am traveling with was the background artist for the comic strip "Brenda Starr" for two years when he was in high school.



  • Nutrasweet causes brain tumors (no really it does). I had heard this before but it was confirmed today from a woman who went to Washington, DC and saw the reports on file herself. Nutrasweet's own team of scientists put these findings in writing. No more diet coke for me.
  • The University of Texas has 70,000 students.
  • Cab drivers in Austin are the nicest I've met anywhere.
  • Never ask a man the size of his spread.
  • How to make a Sittin on the Porch cocktail.
    1 and 1/2 ounces Southern Comfort
    1 ounce of peach schnapps
    1 ounce cranberry juice
    wedge of lime for garnish
    Recommended listening while sipping - "Come a little bit closer" by Jay and the Americans.
  • 2 comments:

    Willie Baronet said...

    I wish I could have met you guys there! Glad you had a good trip. :-)

    Lisa Ryan said...

    Thanks, I wish you could have too!